TRANSFORM YOUR LIFE

TRANSFORM YOUR LIFE
AMAZING Like Niagara Falls

Monday, August 23, 2010

Beneath the Singapore Sky - exodus to Bahau, Malaya

One of my regular readers, Nathan asked for an excerpt. So I chose something that could relate to a biologist with a wildlife blog.

 In Chapter One, Rani, one of the principal characters of this historical novel, recalls a harrowing trip she took with her husband and young son, a few months ago, during the Japanese Occupation of Singapore in the early 1940's.


......."My husband Jerome and baby son went too, as the bishop had requested help to construct a village in the dense, uninhabited Rain Forest.

There were four small lorries, all packed with people,boxes and trunks. The journey was rough on the bumpy roads, in the sweltering heat. As we passed through the dense jungle, we saw different animals and birds. Jonah was delighted to see the monkeys swinging in the trees and the wild boars and elephants on the sides of the road. A contingent of Japanese soldiers in a jeep led the way, with another at the end, fully armed to prevent us from escaping or joining the dissidents hidden in the jungle."

If you have any comments, please send them to me. In September, there will be a post on the second novel, Lucia M of Singapore

PC Nicholas

2 comments:

Nathan said...

Oh Wow!

I loved that excerpt as I was actually able to visualize the experience. I could feel the heat and hear the animals of the jungle. Similarly, I also felt the fear and apprehension as the soldiers went by. It is incredible that just one short passage can illicit such a vivid response.

I can hardly wait to get my copy. Thank you so much for posting this.

PC Nicholas said...

Much appreciated. - See my latest post

http://transformyourlife1.blogspot.com/ google8ce165c91c11d10e.html